The U.S. Tire Manufacturers Association (USTMA) released its first U.S. industry sustainability report presenting its members’ collective progress and shared vision for a sustainable U.S. tire manufacturing industry.
“Sustainability drives our members’ business practices and operating principles,” said Anne Forristall Luke, President and CEO of USTMA. “From engineering innovations that maximize tire longevity and performance, to ensuring driver and employee safety, to preserving the environment throughout the life cycle of a tire, our members are continually looking for ways to improve the societal contributions of their products and operations.”
Tires are an indispensable part of our mobile society and an essential driver of our nation’s commerce. USTMA’s 12 member companies operate 56 tire-related manufacturing facilities in 17 states and generate over $27 billion in annual sales and $11.3 billion in annual federal tax revenue. Tire manufacturing contributes to the lives of real American workers by directly supporting more than a quarter million U.S. jobs totaling almost $20 billion in wages.
“As global companies with manufacturing operations in the U.S., many of our members’ individual sustainability initiatives are cutting edge and extend well beyond what is included in this report,” said Luke. “By uniting around a forward-looking vision on sustainability, we have the potential to make an even bigger impact in the areas of safety, performance and environmental stewardship.”
The report highlights industry accomplishments, including:
- 81% of scrap tires went to beneficial end uses in 2017;
- Member facilities have made an almost 10% reduction in CO2 emissions since 2010;
- Nearly 90% of U.S. member facilities are certified under ISO 14001, the internationally recognized system for managing a facility’s environmental footprint;
- 50% reduction in injury and illness rates at member facilities since 2005;
- 100% of USTMA member companies support philanthropic activities.
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/tractio3/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405