Goodyear announced it is now opening nominations for its annual Highway Hero Award, which honors truck drivers who put themselves in harm’s way to help others.
The 2019 Goodyear Highway Hero Award winner, Paul Mathias, a driver for System Transport of Cheney, Wash., administered CPR to save the life of a young passenger involved in a car accident.
“It’s incredibly humbling to hear story after story of the selflessness of so many of our nation’s truck drivers,” said Gary Medalis, marketing director, Goodyear North America. “Goodyear’s Highway Hero Award gives us an opportunity to share these incredible stories and celebrate the extraordinary deeds of truck drivers in the ordinary course of their work.”
A panel of representatives from the trucking industry will select the next Goodyear Highway Hero from among three finalists identified by Goodyear. The winner will be announced in March 2020, coinciding with the annual Mid-America Trucking Show, and will receive a cash award, among other prizes. Each finalist will also receive a cash prize and various items.
Nominations must be submitted before December 31, 2019 and meet the following criteria to be considered for the award:
• A full-time truck driver
• Residing in the U.S. or Canada
• The heroic incident must have happened in the U.S. or Canada
• Nominee’s truck must have had 12 wheels or more at the time of the incident
• Nominee must have been on the job – or on the way to or from work, in his or her truck – at the time of the incident
• Incident must have taken place between Nov. 16, 2018 and Nov. 16, 2019